Wednesday 15 April 2015

Break my Heart for What Breaks Yours

Break my heart for what breaks yours, everything I am for your kingdoms cause. Show me how to love, like you have loved me.  - Hillsong

Today was a tiring day, but different than the past few days. Justine and I had very different experiences today, so we are going to try and both explain a little bit.
The children just come up to you and hug you, which is the best feeling. Every time we walk past, you have to prepare yourself for tiny people throwing themselves at you!
group hug!

 Lupe with Kim


A couple days before we left Calgary, we had received a schedule from AOJ. It stated that Kim, Jacqueline and I were to give a short presentation about arthritis and managing diet and medication for that specific condition. Yesterday we were talking to one of the social workers about what they expected for today. It didn't really give us a better indication of what they needed. So last night we prepared a little talk about arthritis, medications and a healthy diet. Jacqueline and Kim were going to demonstrate some gentle range of motion exercises. When we sat down this morning and started talking with the women, we quickly realized that they ha much greater problems than simply arthritis. One had breast cancer, another had end-stage kidney failure with a catheter who went for dialysis three times a week. There were two little girls, one with hydrocephalous who needed another surgery as the shunt was not working. The other girl had paralysis to her legs but we aren't sure why. The one little boy they said had epilepsy.  It was frustrating knowing that there wasn't anything else we could do for these people. Kim massaged some of the ladies, and Jacqueline showed them some gentle stretches. We were able to provide them with some prenatal vitamins as well as Tylenol and Advil that were generously donated. They are so grateful but it is hard to see a need that you cannot even start to help with.
doing exercise

Emily has hydrocephalus

The men were painting the back wall of the school today. We realized today that there were not in many pictures on the blog, so we took one today. We promise they are here and are working! Also, it was Andrews birthday today so we got to celebrate at lunch Guatemala style :)



In the afternoon we met with the sponsor children. Most of the team had previously met their sponsor children. We were sharing about our visits after dinner today and it was cool to hear how the children had changed over the years. Its hard to put into words what it feels like to meet your sponsor child. My brother had previously met Christian and had told me about him. I was so excited to meet him today. Once your translator is ready, you head over to where the families are waiting. Christian jumped up as soon as the translator said his name. I got a huge hug from him after I told him who I was. We talked a little bit and I was able to meet his mom and two sisters. Jonathan and I had picked out some gifts for Christian and his family. I gave the gifts to them and they handed me a bag of peaches from their house. Knowing what kind of homes these children live in makes a gift like that so amazing. To us it is a bag of peaches but to them it is probably the nicest thing they have.  Last year Jonathan had bought Christian a soccer ball but didn't have enough time to stay and play with him. Christian was bawling as Jonathan left last year. Every time I mentioned Jonathan, Christians face lit up and he didn't stop smiling. I was able to play basketball with him today as we couldn't find a soccer ball. After we had been playing for a while, he turned to look at me and gave me the same smile he had saved for Jonathan. It just about broke my heart. The worst part is when you have to say goodbye to them. Hr was telling me how he wants to be a doctor, and how he loves math and gym class. Without AOJ and the school, that dream could have never been a possibility.

It has been an emotionally exhausting day but it was totally worth it!
- Leah


My mom and I had the privilege to teach four bible classes today. It was a lot of fun! We taught the younger kids that God is always with them, even though they can’t see Him. We told them the story of Jesus appearing to His disciples after His death on the cross and reminded them that even though Jesus went into heaven, He has left the Holy Spirit to be with us always. We taught the older kids that God is strong and mighty. We told them the story of Elijah and the prophets of Baal. Surprisingly, many of the kids had never heard that story, so they were extremely intrigued! Again, it was great to watch the kids worship and sing praises to Jesus. These kids are taught to have so much reverence for our God. It shows in the way they humbly lift their hands in worship! It was such an amazing thing to witness – I feel so incompetent to be teaching them about The Lord!

Today was the day where we got to meet up with our Sponsor kids. My parents have been to Guatemala at this school a few times now, and they have sponsored two kids. A seven year old boy who they have had for a few years, named Marvin, and a five year old girl named Stephanie. I had the pleasure to meet Marvin yesterday. He is one of the most precious and kind hearted people I’ve ever met in my life! Today we got to sit down with his mother and a translator and chat with him – hearing about his life, school, and his favorite things. During the meeting, my parents gave him some gifts that they brought from home. Marvin (pictured above in the second row) then turned to me and gave me a picture and a card with a basket full of chocolates. He said it was for me! I had only met this boy one time before this and I was already so special to him. His card (pictured above in the second row) says that my friendship is so dear to him, He even included a bible verse on the back. This kid is a real gem! As we said good bye to Marvin, he started weeping and held on to me and my dad. My dad told him that he’d be back next year, and Marvin just cried. My heart absolutely broke. He is so sad that he couldn’t spend more time with us and that he won’t see us for awhile. My goodness, this child is so precious and has such a big heart! He has touched my life. I will never forget it.

Lastly, because today was hugely focused on the kids, I was able to sponsor a child of my own today! It was a big deal, as I’ve never sponsored a kid before. When these kids get sponsored, they are able to attend the AOJ school, get a great education and spend time learning about Jesus every day. Wow! I wanted another child to have this opportunity. I chose a little four year old boy named Axel (third from the top, left). The social worker was able to call the family and get them to come and meet me today! What a blessed opportunity. This family has six children. Their oldest child has cerebral palsy and lives in a home. They are only able to visit him once a month, and I can tell, just by chatting with them briefly, how hard it is on them. I had the opportunity to lay my hands on the family and pray for them – the mother was so grateful to me for this opportunity that I am giving her son. Axel and I got to cuddle and play some soccer as that is both our favorite sport! He had the biggest smile on his face as we kicked the ball back and forth! Every time I would ask him questions, he would always just say “si”. It was so funny! The translator just said: “I think he only knows how to say yes.” We had a great time playing together and I can’t wait to bless Axel.

Darryl, Colleen, Justine, Marvin and his mother

Justine and Axel

- Justine

No comments:

Post a Comment